Sunday, April 8, 2007

Unplanned Recovery Day

Road Bike 5 miles

Went to bed last night planning to get up and ride about 40 miles this morning before work. I woke up though and had no energy. Eventually I made it out the door into the steady rain. After 2.5 miles I realized that I had left my seat post bag with bike tool, spare tube, patch kit, and tire levers at home. Just after turning around to head back for this I noticed that my rear wheel was very untrue and made a mental note to check it when I was back at home. Riding over the bridge to get back on Douglas Island I suddenly heard a clanking noise and looked down and saw my frame pump bouncing on the road. The bracket that holds it to the frame had suddenly snapped in half. When I got home I had ridden 5 miles and was already soaking wet. At this point I checked out my rear wheel and discovered that I had a broken spoke. I thought about still heading back out on my mountain bike or heading out for a run, but decided it just made more sense to take a day off. After all, I had no idea what the heck was going to happen to me if I headed back out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had an unplanned recovery day every day this month. And last month too. .